Fill In The Blank
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fill In The Blank

A place to have fun and tart

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaine's rules for (pillage) Bnavving Excellence

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaine
Weighty
Weighty
Kaine

Kaine's rules for (pillage) Bnavving Excellence Empty
PostSubject: Kaine's rules for (pillage) Bnavving Excellence   Kaine's rules for (pillage) Bnavving Excellence EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 pm

This is a work in progress.

The stuff in italics is the short version of the point, basically a summary. The stuff not in italics is elaboration on the point if you want to know more or you don't understand.

If you have any questions about any of these, or think they're unclear, feel free to ask.

Bnav Mechanics: How stuff works (The Basics)

1) Placing moves

Placing moves is simple. It is the most fundamental aspect of bnav. And yet, most people start out doing it wrong. There are two ways of placing moves. Usually people start with the obvious one; picking up the tiles and dragging them over to the box, or clicking on the box. Using the clicking method is far easier.

A left click places moves, cycling from the left. If you have all the moves (I'll explain this later), one click places a left move, double clicking a forward, 3 times a right and 4 times clears the box. Alternatively you can cycle from the right; a right click places a right, 2 a forward etc. A middle click (if your mouse has it) will also place a forward. And click on the gun ports will cycle through the guns: one click will place a gun there. Double clicking will place 2 if you have a ship that can fire 2 shots, or a grapple if you can only fire one. Three clicks will grapple if you have a 2 shot ship, or clear if you have a 1 shot. Four clicks will clear for a 2 shot ship.

I said they "cycle" and that this was happens only if you have all the moves. This is because if you don't have the piece to place, it skips that step. So if I had a left, a right and no shots, left clicking twice and then clicking on the gun port won't make me move forward and shoot (I don't have those tiles), it will make me turn right and grapple. This can catch you out if you're not aware of it, but if you keep in mind what you do have you can be a lot quicker about things.

The main reason for this is it is a LOT quicker. It gives you time to think about your moves before placing them and still have plenty of time to spare. It is also essential if you are attempting to "last second move" (covered below).

2) Turn order

In each segment of the turn (i.e. the 4 blocks where you place moves), events happen in a specific order simultaneously with each ship. First, you do your moves. Then, any effects from wind/whirlpools take effect. Then shots/grapples happen. So the order is Move, Wind, shoot.

This is most important if you want to use whirlpools to their full effect. By realising that shooting happens after the wind, you can use the pool to attack squares you wouldn't be able to normally or position yourself using it so that you are safe from retaliation.

3) Whirlpools

Whirlpools move you two squares clockwise, and they turn you 90 degrees clockwise THROUGH THE WHOLE MOVE. A common mistake is thinking they move you 90 degrees per square they move you, this isn't the case. Again, if you know this well, whirlpools can be a powerful tool for helping you get where you want to be.

People often don't realise exactly how whirlpools work. Indeed they are the main obstacle for the new navver. If you are really struggling with pools, I advise doing a few fledgling imperial outposts - there is an abundance of whirlpools in these maps and they are great at forcing you to learn them.

Also do remember that your opponent can use whirlpools too. Especially in pillages, this can be a real pain, if pools are nearby there are just too many things your enemy might be able to do. Don't be afraid to steer clear of them in order to deprive your opponent of their use.

Strategy: Will add to this later

1) Let the bots come to you!
The bots will always try to close with you, you don't need to get aggressive. The best tactic is to work out which squares they will need to move into to reach you. Shoot them as they try to approach you then dance away before they reach you. In general, Barbarians try to shoot you, brigands try to go for the quick grapple, although this is not always the case.

2) Shoot, Shoot, Shoot
Wasting cannonballs by missing the enemy is no big deal. Failing to shoot when you would have had the chance is MUCH worse. Know how many shots your gunners can do on average, and plan accordingly. Ideally, you should shoot whenever there is any chance your enemy can move into a square.

3) Avoid broadsides!
In general, AVOID passing along the side of the enemy's ship if at all possible. Try to shoot them in their nose (front) or in the arse (back). If, for some reason, you absolutely have to pass their side, try to send a shot their way at the same time (i.e. don't turn into it if you can avoid it).

4) Watch for patterns!
Bots are... well... bots. They work on certain principles. There are certain patterns that they follow, and you will pick them up with time; watch them. The main one to remember is that, if they are going to grapple, it is almost always on the first move that they could do it. As such, this is a GOOD time to pass by their broadside if you need to.

5)Take advantage of damage!
Especially when you are fighting bigger ships, the bots tend to slow down when their damage goes up. Take advantage of this; sink 2-3 shots into a dhow and it will soon crawl to a stop.

6) Rules are made to be broken!
These are all rules of thumb; some bots behave weirdly, sometimes you have a bad gunner and need to conserve your shots (or are low on cballs), sometimes you HAVE to pass broadsides. Always remember this. In particular, though, remember one thing: if you are doing a PVP fight (or any non-pillage fight against bots) IGNORE everything I have said (except maybe the stuff about shooting). These are only features of good bnav when pillaging against bots.

Back to top Go down

Kaine's rules for (pillage) Bnavving Excellence
Page 1 of 1